Blog Process

UNLV Continuing Education is providing this blog to share views on select continuing education courses and discussion on related topics.


Monday, February 9, 2015

Car Care 101



I'm not sure if it’s a generational thing, regional thing or something else altogether. Growing up in Ohio as a child of the 80s, my dad made sure I knew the basics of car care. At the time I had no clue why, but now it’s become obvious. Cars are expensive; car care is expensive, too. Not to mention if you get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere at an ungodly hour, you want to be able to change tires and get home.


I have a ton of respect for car people, but please don’t think I’m one of them. I know very little about car makes and models. I say that because I consider myself an average Joe when it comes to automobiles. I just got lucky that my dad taught me the basics like changing a flat tire, switching out car batteries, and checking the oil. Because of this foundation, though, I learned I could do even more basic care, like change spark plugs, headlight lamps and even brake pads and rotors. Over time, all this self repair added up to great savings.


But as an adult, how can someone learn these basics, short of hanging out at with a mechanic all day long? Luckily, UNLV Continuing Education is offering Car Care 101. Sure, it can be intimidating to step foot into the gearhead culture, but that’s the beauty of a class like this. Only the instructor is an expert while everyone else is there to learn the same basics. Specifically in this class, you can expect to prolong the life of your car with routine preventative care as well as the fundamentals of maintenance.

To learn more about our Car Care classes, visit our online catalog - http://continuingeducation.unlv.edu/catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment